A warm, flaky, comforting classic pot pie by Dawn Hutchins from Florida Coastal Cooking & Wellness, that just so happens to be plant-based! This pot pie will be the star of your table this season. Just make sure you get a slice before it's all gone!
Chickpea Pot Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the crust:
- 1 pie crust recipe or 1 package quality pie crusts, softened to package directions (gluten free or whole wheat depending on preference)
For the filling:
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1/2 of one small onion, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup gluten free, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain, non-dairy milk
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (if using canned, be sure to drain and rinse)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Heat oven to 425°F. Prepare pie crusts (from scratch or packaged) as directed for a two crust pie using a 9-inch glass pie pan.
- Melt coconut oil or vegan butter over medium heat in a 2-quart saucepan; add onion; cook 2-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent; stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended; stir in broth and non-dairy milk, cooking and stirring until thick and bubbly.
- Add in chickpeas and mixed vegetables; remove from heat. Spoon chickpea mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edge using a fork. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Keep in mind, if using coconut oil it will add a slight flavor variance.