This healthier ice cream is made with plant-based milk, dates, peanut butter, and chickpeas. Yes, chickpeas. Don’t worry, you won’t taste them! This frozen dessert is a mix between ice cream and freezer fudge and has a rich peanut butter flavor while being sweetened with dates only. It’s ice cream with fiber, healthy fats, and no added sugar! What could be better?
Chickpea Nut Butter Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup smooth salted peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 14 oz coconut milk, low-fat (or about 1 1/2 cups plant-based milk of choice)
- Chocolate chips or cocoa nibs for serving (optional)
- More peanut butter for serving (optional)
- Melted chocolate for drizzling (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Transfer to a dish (such as a bread pan) and freeze overnight or for at least 12 hours, covered. Serve with a drizzle of peanut butter and chocolate if desired.
- This ice cream has the best consistency when eaten 12-15 hours after putting in the freezer. Longer than that, it can get a little harder (but still tastes great!). If this is the case, leave it at room temperature for a few minutes before serving. - Almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk (high-fat and low-fat), and oat milk have all been tested with success. Choose what you have on hand. - You can taste the mixture before freezing and add maple syrup to taste if you would like it sweeter.