This Chickpea Meat Sauce recipe is the next best thing next to simmered-all-day pasta sauce. You'll have all your family and friends guessing how you managed to juggle your day while making such a fabulous meaty sauce – no need to tell them how easy it was! Take that credit––you deserve it!
Chickpea ‘Meat’ Sauce Over Pasta Shells [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chickpea ‘Meat’ Sauce Over Pasta Shells [Vegan]
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- A dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red miso paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/4 tablespoon pure maple syrup, or to taste
- 13 ounces gluten-free or whole wheat pasta shells
- Vegan Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
How to Prepare Chickpea ‘Meat’ Sauce Over Pasta Shells [Vegan]
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high, add a splash of water or vegetable broth, and sauté the chopped onion and carrot for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- While the carrots and onion cook put the chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to break them down. You don't want hummus — but you also don't want any whole chickpeas remaining. Set aside.
- Stir the herbs and spices into the onion/carrot mixture and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas and sauté for about 5 minutes, letting them brown a bit.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, miso, tomato paste, and maple syrup, scraping up the yummy browned bits and stirring well to combine. Turn down the heat to low and let the sauce bubble for about 30 minutes. If you have one of those mesh screens, this is the time to use it.
- Stir the sauce occasionally, adding broth or water if it becomes too thick. While it cooks, get the pasta water going and cook according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/4-1/2 cup of the pasta water, if desired (you can use this to further thin the sauce, if necessary).
- When the sauce is done, taste and adjust the seasonings. Pour the pasta into the sauce and stir well, making sure to coat each and every tender shell. Serve with copious amounts of vegan Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2255 | Total Carbs: 443 g | Total Fat: 22 g | Total Protein: 77 g | Total Sodium: 3327 g | Total Sugar: 67 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.