These bright veggie burgers are a delicious way to celebrate summer squash season. They are made from a hearty mix of chickpeas and zucchini and are seasoned with garlic, black pepper, and turmeric. Top these moist patties with a dollop of vegan mayonnaise or a drizzle of Sriracha for some added heat.
Chickpea and Zucchini Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 thick leek slices
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- A small handful of soaked walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- 1 large zucchini, finely grated
- 1 heaped tablespoon rice flour
- Finely grate the zucchini and place in a big bowl.
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, leek, walnuts, flax seeds, and turmeric with sea salt and black pepper into a food processor. Process well. Scrape the sides with a spoon and process again.
- Pour this mixture in with the zucchini. Mix well with a spoon or your hands. Add rice flour and mix again. Now, depending on how much liquid you got from the summer squash, you might want to add a few tablespoons of water or plant-based milk.
- Take a baking tray and cover it with parchment paper. One heaped tablespoon of batter at a time, form a nice patty and place it on the baking sheet.
- Heat oven to 375°F and bake for 25-30 minutes. They firm up as they cool down.