Made with chia seeds, almond milk and raw cashews, they are filled with fibre, protein, omega-3 fats and other nutrients. They are tasty and easy to make. They have all of the spices that are in a chai latte; however, I’ve replaced the black tea with 100% powdered cacao. For that extra cinnamon flavor, top up with cinnamon powder or stick. Grab yourself a spoon and enjoy!
Chia Chai Latte Pudding [Vegan]
- 2 cups almond milk at room temperature, store-bought or homemade
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) raw cashews (no salt, nothing added), softened
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 25 grams medjool date flesh (from 1 1/2 fresh dates), pitted & torn in pieces
- 1 tablespoon powdered cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon 100% cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered clove
- Freshly ground black pepper, a few turns with mill
- Topping: vegan whipped cream, grated chocolate, cinnamon stick for added flavor
- Give your almond milk bottle or container a REALLY good shake and measure 2 cups. In a bowl, incorporate the almond milk, chia seeds and maple syrup. Mix with a fork until the seeds are evenly dispersed. Put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to gel. If using chilled almond milk, put in fridge for 10 minutes. Time it so it doesn’t over gel.
- Transfer the raw cashews into a microwaveable bowl and cover them with water. Put a lid on and microwave on high heat for 3 minutes. Remove and strain the hot water with a meshed sieve. Rinse out the cashews in the meshed sieve under cold running water to cool them. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a small blender or NutriBullet, add 2/3 cup of warm water and the date flesh. Allow the date pieces to soften in the water for a few minutes. Then add the cinnamon, cacao powder, cardamon, ginger, clove and black pepper. Add the softened cashews. Blend everything for a good minute until creamy.
- Take out the almond/chia mixture from fridge when done and give it a good stir with a fork to spread the seeds. If your almond milk was pre-chilled, you may have to stir this really well to eliminate clumps. There should be no chia clumping.
- Add the creamy cashew mixture and stir this well with fork until fully incorporated. Pour into cups, jars or ramekins and cover with jar lids or foil.
- Chill for at least 3 hours in fridge or overnight (even better). Top with a dollop of whipped cream, grated chocolate, some extra cinnamon if need be, with sticks or powder, and enjoy. Keeps well for several days in fridge with lids on.
- Chai Spice