These Cherry Hemp Oat Bars are so incredibly delicious and reminiscent of childhood granola bars (except much healthier and naturally sweetened). Eating them instantly brings back so many feelings and memories. They are sweet, slightly tart, and full of amazing nutritional benefits from ingredients like hemp seeds, which are a complete protein and contain all 9 essential amino acids. This makes hemp a perfect protein option to help re-build an impaired gut lining. Make these cherry hemp oat bars on a Sunday and have them ready for the week ahead – if they last that long!
Cherry Hemp Oat Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 7 ounces Frozen Cherries - left to thaw in bowl on countertop
- 2 ounces Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- 5 ounces Date Paste
- 4 tablespoons Oat Milk - Organic If Possible
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats - Organic if possible
- 1/4 Cup Hemp Seed Protein Powder - Organic If Possible
- 1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut - Organic if possible
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Psyllium Husk
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds - Organic If Possible
- 2 tablespoons Buckwheat Flour - Organic If Possible
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Sugar - Organic If Possible
- Pinch Himalayan Sea Salt
- Weigh the frozen cherries and leave on the countertop while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Pre-Heat the oven to 320°F Fan Forced
- In a small pan, gently heat the coconut oil and date paste. Whisk together, and slowly add the chia seeds - still on a very low heat. Once the coconut oil has completely melted, remove from heat and set aside while you mix the dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl add the rolled oats, desiccated coconut, hemp protein powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, psyllium husk, buckwheat flour, Himalayan salt and coconut sugar. Mix until all combined.
- Add the wet melted ingredients and stir well. Add the oat milk to help with the ingredients binding a bit easier. Chop up the somewhat thawed cherries- i just used a pair of kitchen scissors for this. Add them to the mixing bowl. Stir ingredients until all are fully combined.
- In a lined baking tray, press the mixture evenly. I used a square one, but any shape will do.
- Once all flattened evenly, pop into the oven on 320°F for about 30-35 minutes. Bake until golden and crunchy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Slice into desired slices and enjoy.
- You can leave them in the oven once cut up to further dehydrate if you're wanting a crunchier bar. Store them in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Use Organic, local and sustainable ingredients wherever possible. Remember your re-usable shopping bags when getting ingredients.