Spaetzle is a typical dish in Germany and Austria. This recipe is with vegan cheese and onions, but you can use it for so many other variations! I often serve them with goulash or other creamy sauces like with mushrooms. Also, it helps if you use a spaetzle maker, if you have one. You should totally try this recipe for vegan Cheesy Spaetzle because it’s so good!
Cheesy Spaetzle [Vegan]
- 2 cups all-purpose-flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon besan/chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Some ground pepper
- 1/2 cup of your favorite vegan cheese shreds
- A splash of unsweetened plant-based milk (I used rice milk)
- Half an onion
- Fresh chives
- Fill a large pot with water until it's ¾ full, add salt and place on full heat.
- Mix flours, water, salt & pepper in a bowl and whisk until it's a sticky dough.
- When the water is boiling you can put the spaetzle maker* on top of the pot. Insert the dough and move the spaetzle maker until all the dough is in the water.
- The spaetzle will swim on the surface once they are ready.
- Put the spaetzle in a drainer, pour some water over it, drain and then add it in a hot, lightly oiled pan.
- Cut onion in rings and heat them up in a separate hot pan.
- Add cheese and a splash of the plant-based milk to the spaetzle and stir.
- When the cheese melted the dish is ready to serve.
- Combine spaetzle and onions and sprinkle with some fresh chives.
To make these spaetzle I highly recommend using a spaetzle maker. Alternatively, you can shape the spaetzle dough pieces individually by hand (similar to forming gnocchi) and add them to the boiling water.