This dairy-free mushroom "butter" is sure to be a hit as an appetizer at any event. The mushrooms provide a beautiful woodsy, peppery taste that is enhanced by fresh herbs and port wine, plus their beautiful golden color makes this butter a stand-out on the appetizer table. Serve this with whole grain crackers and crusty bread for a rustic feel.
Chanterelle Mushroom Butter [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen Chanterelle mushrooms
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Tawny port or grappa wine
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon thyme leaves
- Sort and clean the Chanterelles, or rinse well and let drain on paper towels.
- Sauté the Chanterelles in 2 tablespoons of canola oil with a garlic clove and thyme springs. Pour over the Tawny port or grappa and cook until the alcohol evaporates.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne. At the end, add tomato paste. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- After the Chanterelles have cooled down, transfer to a blender and blend it with the canola oil is a thick paste of the consistency of a soft butter. Mix in the thyme leaves and nigella.