Cowboy cookie bars: sweet, decadent, chewy, crumbly, and full of little morsels of chocolate, coconut, and pecans in each bite.
Celebration Cowboy Cookie Bars [Vegan]
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) flax meal
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup (113 g) dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (218 g) all-purpose or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (96 g) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups (120 g) sweetened coconut shreds
- 1 cup (175 g) mini vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup (110 g) chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (45 g) vegan sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5). Lightly spray a 9 x 13–inch (23 x 33–cm) baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add the flax and water to a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar with a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth and creamy (see tip on page 168 to cream without a stand or hand mixer).
- Add the flax mixture and vanilla to the bowl. Mix until well combined. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, oats, coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans. Mix until everything comes together to form a thick dough.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking pan and press it into the pan with fingertips or back of a spatula until evenly dispersed in the pan. Sprinkle the sprinkles across the top, and gently press them into the top of the dough.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the edges have browned and the top looks dry. Let cool completely and cut into 12 bars.