This recipe gives you all of the tasty pizza flavors you crave with none of the unhealthy drawbacks a slice usually has. The cauliflower crust is crispy and delicious and the fresh toppings with the creamy sunflower seed "ricotta" make this pizza a winner.
Crispy Chickpea-Cauliflower Crust Pizza With Ricotta [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free]
For the Pizza Base:
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground flax (mixed with the chia seeds with 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Toppings
- Green olives
- Red bell pepper
- Fresh chives
- Baby spinach and kale leaves
- Spring onion
- Tomato paste
- Tomato pasta sauce
For The Sunflower Seed 'Ricotta':
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- A pinch of salt and pepper
To Make the Pizza Base:
- Pre-heat the oven to 395°F
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas blend them well in a food processor.
- Place them into a large mixing bowl.
- Clean and rinse the cauliflower.
- Lightly steam it for about 3-5 minutes. Don't over steam or the base will turn soggy.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, in a small bowl add the flax, chia seeds, and water. Leave aside to swell.
- Once the cauliflower has steamed, remove and spin it in a salad spinner to remove any excess moisture.
- Blend it in a food processor until it's fine. Place it into a muslin cloth and squeeze out any liquid. You want the cauliflower to be as dry as possible.
- Add the flax/chia egg, cauliflower, and the remaining base ingredients to the chickpeas and mix everything thoroughly.
- Flatten the mixture out on a baking paper lined pizza tray. Use your fingers to spread and flatten it evenly. Poke it with a fork to ensure even cooking, and pop it into the oven the oven for 10 mins.
Sunflower Seed 'Ricotta':
- Add all ingredients into a food processor, and blend them until they are chunky.
To Make the Pizza:
- Once the base has cooked, mix the tomato pasta sauce and tomato paste, and spread evenly over the base.
- Place the spinach, kale, red bell pepper, spring onion, and olives on the pizza before placing it back in the oven at 355°F for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the pizza and add your 'ricotta', fresh chives, and sliced avocado.