This healthy carbonara sauce is exquisitely creamy and indulgent. Cashews and cauliflower are the base of this sauce, making it cholesterol-free and low in saturated fat as opposed to the original version of the Italian classic. Serve with your favorite pasta or spiralized noodles!
Cauliflower Carbonara Sauce [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 6 hours
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups or 9 ounces frozen cauliflower, thawed completely (fresh and steamed should work too)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, for color (optional)
- Pepper or chili powder. to taste
Optional Mix-Ins and Toppings:
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor or a high-speed blender.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste test and add more salt, pepper or chili if you like. Add more water or milk of choice, if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Add your preferred topping and/or mix-ins and stir with a spoon until combined.
- Combine with pasta of choice or spiralized vegetables and enjoy.
- If you use freshly cooked, grain-based pasta, your sauce should thicken a bit after mixing it all together. You can thin it out with a splash of non-dairy milk.