These millet, chickpea, and black bean burgers are packed with protein, flavor, and of course, Caribbean flair! Homemade jerk seasoning makes these burgers extra-special, but they're ultimate when topped with creamy pineapple guacamole. Oh yeah. That's what we're talking about!
Caribbean Jerk Millet Burgers With Pineapple Guacamole [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Caribbean Jerk Millet Burgers With Pineapple Guacamole [Vegan]
- 2 cups cooked un-hulled millet
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into sections
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoon each of soy sauce, lime juice, and cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal plus 2 1/2 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons more olive oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 very ripe avocados, pits and shells removed
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 of your favorite hamburger buns
- Fresh cilantro sprigs red bell pepper slices for topping
How to Prepare Caribbean Jerk Millet Burgers With Pineapple Guacamole [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F then line a baking tray with foil and spray lightly with olive oil. Combine serrano, garlic, onion, and bell pepper in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add mixture to pan. Cook for 6-7 minutes until softened then add orange and lime juice, soy, and vinegar to pan. Cook until mostly evaporated then remove from heat and scrape contents back into processor. Add jerk seasoning, brown sugar, salt, and beans then pulse until nearly smooth. Scrape into a large bowl and add millet and breadcrumbs, then mix well. Form mixture into eight patties and place on prepared tray.
- Bake in oven for about 12 minutes on each side then remove from oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes to set up or they will fall apart.
- If desired, heat 2 more tablespoons of olive oil in same skillet and cook each patty for about 1 minute per side until nice and golden brown.
- Smash avocados with a fork and mix with other ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Toast buns if desired and assemble burgers by placing patties on buns and topping with guacamole, peppers, cilantro, and any other toppings you like.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.