I wanted to make a cake for my sister that had these lovely delicate flavors in it, so I whipped this up. I then gave my sister one slice and ate the rest myself, coz that’s the kind of jerk I am.
Cardamom Layer Cake With Rose Cream and Pistachios [Vegan]
Makes 2 8-inch layers
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds, ground
- 3/4 cups caster sugar
- 1¼ cups soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Cream from 2 tins of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar, sieved
- 1 cup of shelled pistachios, loosely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a jug, beat together the yogurt, vinegar, oil, salt and sugar until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sieve together the flour, cornflour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the lemon zest and cardamom.
- Add half the wet mixture into the bowl of flour and mix well, then add the second half of the wet mix and beat well.
- Pour half the mixture into each cake tin. Drop each tin onto the countertop from a one-foot height to knock any large air bubbles out.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 350°F for 30-35 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool fully before decorating
- Scoop the cream from two tins of coconut milk into a mixing bowl and add in the rose water and icing sugar. Whisk everything with an electric whisk until it’s light and fluffy.
- Place the bottom layer of the cake onto a serving platter and spread with half the cream. Sprinkle the top with half the pistachios.
- Place the second cake on top and spread with the remaining cream. Sprinkle the top of the cake with pistachios and sprinkle any remaining pistachios around the sides of the cake.
The coconut milk will need to be refrigerated overnight in order to separate. Make sure to use full-fat coconut milk, light won’t work! You can then scoop out the cream from the top of the can and use the leftover water in the bottom in soup or a curry.