This easy-to-make bean dish is the perfect amount of sweet mixed with just the right amount of savory. The sweetness comes from maple and molasses which is balanced out nicely with mustard, crushed tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce. While these beans are fabulous on their own, serving them with crunchy toasted bread for dipping is also a solid option!
Canadian Maple Baked Beans [Vegan]
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini or navy beans
- 1 small onion, finely chopped.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown, Dijon, or spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add your chopped onion and allow to cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the onion caramelizes.
- Drain your can of beans, rinse with water, and add to the skillet.
- Next add crushed tomatoes, molasses, maple syrup, brown mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper and mix together on medium heat.
- Allow to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes, adding a bit of water to thin out your sauce if it becomes too thick.