If you are looking for a really rich and decadent vegan ice cream dessert, this Cacao Nib and Mint Chocolate Ice Cream recipe just might be it! While I usually make my vegan ice cream with just full-fat coconut milk, this time I added cashews to give it extra creaminess. And instead of just going with a plain chocolate ice cream (which you could also do), I decided to add mint extract and some cacao nibs for a little crunch.
Cacao Nib and Mint Chocolate Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 cup organic cashews
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (13.5 ounce can)
- 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup organic raw coconut crystals (or your favorite granulated sweetener)
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla bean powder
- 2 teaspoons organic peppermint extract
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup organic cacao nibs
- Add all ingredients (EXCEPT the cacao nibs) into a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Stir the cacao nibs into the ice cream mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your ice-cream maker or ice pop molds and prepare according to your machine/ice pop mold directions.
Tip #1: I used raw coconut crystals as the sweetener because it’s low-glycemic, but feel free to use your favorite granular sweetener. Tip #2: I’ve made this as regular ice cream (makes 2 – 4 servings) and also as an ice cream on a stick treat using BPA-free molds. Tip #3: You could substitute the cacao nibs with vegan/gluten-free mini-chocolate chips. Tip #4: You could omit the mint extract if you prefer. Tip #5: You can substitute the vanilla bean powder with (1) teaspoon vanilla extract.