There's nothing quite like coming home to some fresh hot risotto, especially this amazing recipe! The creamy and nutty combination of butternut squash and white beans makes this risotto truly something unique and delicious.
Butternut Squash and White Bean Risotto [Vegan]
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 can small white beans or 1 and 1/2 cups cooked beans
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese
- Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Pour a few inches of water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add cubed butternut squash, cover and steam until tender. Drain and mash using a fork or potato masher.
- Meanwhile, drizzle olive oil in a large skillet. Over medium-high heat sauté shallot until fragrant. Add rice and sauté (continuously stirring!) for an additional 5 minutes or until the shallot starts to lightly brown.
- If using wine, add and stir until evaporated. Lower heat and add the broth one cup at a time, stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed by the rice. Add mashed butternut squash and white beans with the remainder of the broth. Cook until rice is tender and risotto is creamy. Season with sea salt and pepper. If using cheese, stir in before serving. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!