Butternut squash has a natural sweetness and pairs perfectly with all things sage and cinnamon. What’s fab about this dish, is just everything! It’s quick, easy, fun, festive, affordable, vegan, packs veggies, packs flavor, you can top with whatever you like, it’s perfect for fall, perfect for entertaining and can easily be made in bulk!!
Butternut Squash Fritters [Vegan]
- 3 1/2 tablespoon vegan egg powder
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 medium size shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon sage, minced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups grated butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- oil for frying
- In a small bowl combine the egg powder and almond milk. Whisk to remove clumps and set aside.
- In a large skillet add the shallots, sage, garlic, butter, and olive oil. Cook until fragrant, 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the shallot mixture with the remaining ingredients. Add in the combined vegan egg mixture and combine with hands until you're able to form patties.
- In a large nonstick pan, add 1/4 cup oil and heat over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the cakes and cook them for about 2-4 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy. Once cooked, set on top of paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve them immediately or place patties on sheet pan in a 300°F oven to keep hot until you serve.
- Top with vegan yogurt and sage. You can make crispy sage, by simply frying the leaves for a few seconds.
- Butternut Squash