Delicious as a savory snack in the late afternoon or any time! You could serve the falafel as part of a Mediterranean sharing platter with tasty salads, hummus and olives. You can also use the falafel in a wrap or on top of a salad as a quick lunch.
Butternut Squash Falafel With Tahini Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Butternut squash falafel:
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds (preferably germinated)
- 1 cup of almonds (preferably germinated)
- 4 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 1 cup of roasted butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons of herbs (this recipe used a mix of garam masala, curry powder and cumin)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Big pinch of black pepper
Gluten-free 'bread crumbs' (to roll them in)
- 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of spice (this recipe used garam masala and cumin)
Tahini sauce (good for 1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Black pepper and sea salt, to taste
- Stevia, to taste (optional)
- Place pumpkin seeds, almonds and ground flax seeds in the food processor with an S-shaped blade. Mix into a fine flour.
- Add the butternut squash, the herbs, the apple cider vinegar, the sea salt, the turmeric and the black pepper. Mix again into a thick dough.
- For the gluten-free breadcrumbs: mix the ground flaxseed with the sesame seeds and herbs in a small bowl.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop or tablespoon to form falafels. Roll them into the breadcrumbs.
- If you have a dehydrator : place the falafel on a dehydrator tray covered with a teflex top . Place in the drying oven at 115°F for 4 hours or longer, depending on how crispy you want them to be.
- If you use an ordinary oven: preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the falafel fifteen minutes or longer, until they are crispy on the outside but still soft inside.
- Serve the falafel as a snack with tahini sauce, or on top of a simple salad with cucumber and tomato. You could also serve them with a coconut yoghurt sauce.
- Combine tahini, water and lemon juice in a bowl. Mix with a fork or spoon into a smooth sauce. Add extra water or lemon juice if your tahini is very dry.
- Season with black pepper and sea salt. You cadd a few drops of pure Stevia, for the taste balance. You can also add a spoonful of turmeric powder.
- Butternut Squash