Rich, hearty, and filling, this root vegetable stew is the recipe perfect for cold autumn or winter days. It’s very nearly the weather for hearty stews and comforting bowls of soup, wouldn’t you say, friends? Make this one of stews you try! It's made with seasonal ingredients and is full of delicious flavors! Plus, it's really easy to make! You could sub the carrot, parsnip, and swede for other vegetables of your choice, if you so desire. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash – all would work well here. Serve it with some warm bread and you've got yourself a delicious, autumnal meal. This Root Vegetable Stew is fantastic!
Butterbean & Barley Root Vegetable Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 medium parsnips chopped
- 1 small swede chopped
- 1/2 cup pearl barley rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon plain or thickening flour
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1.5 pints vegetable stock
- 1 can butter beans drained and rinsed
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan, and soften the onions and garlic for a few minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the root vegetables, barley, flour, and thyme. Mix well.
- When well mixed, add the vegetable stock and butter beans.
- Turn down to a low heat and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the root vegetables are all soft.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.