Try this non-traditional twist on an iconic Canadian dish. Fresh french fries topped with roasted jackfruit smothered in a Buffalo ranch sauce and a creamy cheese sauce. The flaky, meaty texture of the jackfruit closely resembles pulled chicken, making it the perfect veggie substitute for this dish! 100% plant based and 100 percent delicious.
Buffalo Ranch ‘Chicken’ Poutine [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Buffalo Chick'n:
- 2 20-ounce cans of jackfruit in brine
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan buffalo sauce (or mix hot sauce and vegan butter together)
For the Buffalo Ranch Sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon chives
To Make the Buffalo "Chicken" and Fries:
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Ensure you have two racks available for cooking.
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Cut hard center points off and break up the chunks into a fryin pan. The jackfruit should now resemble pulled apart chicken.
- Fry jackfruit in a lightly oiled pan on medium-high heat. Add the spices and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the buffalo sauce and remove from heat.
- Place the jackruit in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil.
- On another baking sheet, lay the frozen french fries in a single layer and top with a bit of seasoning salt (optional).
- Bake fries according to packing instructions on the bottom rack. In the last 15 minutes, pop the jackfruit in on the rack above to crisp them up a bit.
To Make the Buffalo Ranch Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients and thoroughly combine. Add 1 tablespoon of hot sauce first and taste test. If you want it hotter, add another tablespoon.
To Assemble the Poutine:
- Place the fries on a large plate. Top with the jackfruit and smother with the cheese and buffalo sauce.