This simple dish is hearty, filling, and flavorful. Cooked buckwheat, wilted collards, meaty mushrooms, and a homemade lemon tahini sauce is the perfect combo. It's made by puréeing tahini, lemon juice, dates, and garlic until smooth and creamy. This easy dish works as both a lunch and a dinner.
Buckwheat With Collards and Mushrooms [Vegan]
- Cooked buckwheat, as much as you want
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups collard greens, chopped
- Sesame seeds, to sprinkle on top
For the Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 dates, pitted and simmered in water for 10 minutes
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup water
To Make the Buckwheat:
- Use 1 part dry buckwheat to 2 parts water.
- It's optional, but toasting the buckwheat before you cook it brings out its nutty flavor.
- To accomplish both, rinse and drain the grain first, heat a skillet for 1 minute and then toast the buckwheat until it becomes fragrant and slightly browned. This will take only a couple of minutes.
- The hot skillet will dry the grain and then toast it when dry.
- After the grain is toasted, place in a small pot with twice the amount of water, bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes without a lid.
To Make the Veggies:
- Heat a skillet for about a minute until it’s hot. Add the mushrooms and just a pinch of salt. When the mushrooms start to stick, add 1 teaspoon of water and stir.
- Once the mushrooms become soft (about 3 minutes), add the collard greens and cook for 1 minute, just until they’re wilted.
To Make the Lemon Tahini Sauce:
- Place all of the ingredients in your blender and blend until creamy and smooth, about one full minute (make sure to drain the water from the dates before you add them to the blender).
- Place some buckwheat in each bowl, top with mushrooms and collards, pour on a generous amount of lemon tahini dressing, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.