Buckeyes are a classic Ohioan dessert named for its resemblance to the nut of the state tree: the Ohio buckeye. It consists of peanut butter fudge dipped in chocolate, leaving some peanut butter visible. This version swaps out the traditional cream used to make fudge with coconut oil. It takes just two steps to make these chocolatey, peanut buttery delights, so they're easy to whip up for a party or for a quick snack at home.
Buckeyes: Peanut Butter Fudge Dipped In Chocolate [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Buckeyes: Peanut Butter Fudge Dipped In Chocolate [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- A pinch of salt (if peanut butter is unsalted)
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips, melted
How to Prepare Buckeyes: Peanut Butter Fudge Dipped In Chocolate [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Add peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut flour, and salt to a high-speed blender. Purée until all ingredients are combined into a thick "dough". Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze until solid, about 30-45 minutes.
- While balls are freezing, melt the dark chocolate using a double boiler or in the microwave. Just watch it closely to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Once the balls are frozen, use a toothpick to dip each ball halfway into the melted chocolate, then place back on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for another 10-15 minutes, or until chocolate has hardened. Eat immediately or keep frozen until serving time.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.