Step up your pizza game with a gourmet pizza you would normally get in a restaurant but in your own kitchen. This Brussels sprouts pizza has Brussels sprouts, balsamic red onions, and vegan mozzarella. All that’s missing is the red and white checkered tablecloth.
Brussels Sprouts Pizza With Caramelized Onions and Balsamic Reduction [Vegan]
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- A few pinches pink salt
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pink salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F and place a pizza stone on the middle rack if you have one. If not, skip this part, as a regular cookie sheet or pizza pan will work fine.
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts by cutting off and discarding the ends. Pull off some of the individual leaves with your hands for about half of the sprouts. Thinly slice the rest of them into tiny little strips. Drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and toss well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and set aside. Drizzle with more olive oil if needed.
- Prepare the onions by slicing them as thin as possible. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-low heat. Add the red onions. Stir your onions to start the caramelization process. Cook low and slow for about 12-15 minutes. Pour in the balsamic vinegar and stir to combine. Continue to cook for a couple more minutes until the vinegar has mostly absorbed into the onions. Remove and set aside.
- Roll out your pizza dough into a circle and place the dough on top of your prepared pan. If you're using a pizza stone, carefully remove it from the oven (it'll be really hot!) and place the dough on top. I like to add a little bit of cornmeal to the bottom of the stone or pan before putting the pizza on, but this is optional. Top with a layer of the onions, followed by the mozzarella cheese, and finishing with the Brussels sprouts on top. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and cook for about 10-14 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the Brussels sprouts have crispy brown edges.