Get your daily supply of vegetables with this gluten-free, 4-ingredient broccoli pizza crust topped with a creamy green pea hummus. This pizza is also nothing short of a nutritional powerhouse and makes a well-rounded meal for two or a healthy, energizing snack for a few friends to share. Plus while the hummus and broccoli crust make a wonderful combination, you can get creative with both of these recipes on their own.
Broccoli Pizza Crust and Green Pea Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pizza Crust:
- 4 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon psyllium husk
- 1/4 cup water, plus 1-2 teaspoons extra if needed
- 1/2 cup buckwheat (makes the recipe grain-free) or brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Pea Hummus:
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon sea or Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
To Make the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets or pizza pans with parchment paper.
- Finely chop the broccoli by pulsing it in a food processor or chopping by hand. Place the chopped broccoli in a steamer basket and steam it until it's bright green and tender. This should take about 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the psyllium husk with 1/4 cup of water and let sit until you need it.
- When the broccoli is steamed, transfer it to a nut milk bag or fine mesh strainer and press out all the water. Be sure to get out as much water as possible. Put the strained broccoli in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, spices, and salt and toss everything together using a spoon or spatula.
- Add the psyllium mixture and mix it as much as you can with a spatula then, roll up your sleeves and start mixing it with clean hands. Mix the dough until all the ingredients are incorporated. If the dough seems too dry and isn't coming together, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time. Let the dough sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to the parchment paper (you can do this part on or off the pan) and press the dough into an 8-10 inch circle. You can use a rolling pin if you like but your hands will work just as well.
- Bake the pizza for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the dough over onto another piece of parchment. Do this by laying the second parchment-lined pan on top of the first pan. While wearing oven mitts, hold both pans together by the pans’ edges and quickly flip the crust.
- Remove the first pan and slowly peel back the parchment. Return the pizza dough to the oven for another 10-15 minutes. It’s done when it’s firm to touch and lifts when you pick up the edge. Remove it from the oven and top it as you like.
To Make the Hummus:
- This first step is optional – blanch and shock the green peas. Do this by submerging the green peas in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl of ice water. This step is not essential but achieves a beautiful green color. Otherwise, boil or steam the green peas for 3 minutes and set them aside.
- Drain the green peas and add them and all other ingredients to a food processor. Process everything until creamy mixture forms.
- Taste the hummus and add additional salt or lemon juice if desired.