This stir-fry is so fresh and crisp. There are no mushy veggies here! The sauce makes just enough to coat the veggies, but not drown them. Broccoli and green beans are two of the vegetables that some kids happily eat time and time again, but you can swap in zucchini or asparagus if desired. You could serve this stir-fry over rice, but sometimes, it's nice to step away from the grains for a moment and let the vegetables really shine on their own.
Broccoli, Green Bean, and Tofu Stir-fry [Vegan]
- 1 recipe crispy tofu
- 1/4 cup tamari, coconut aminos, or soy sauce (gluten-free, if desired)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or peanut oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger (Be sure to peel the ginger before you chop.)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite-size florets
- 12 ounces fresh green beans, halved
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Sriracha (optional)
- Make the tofu as directed and set aside. There’s no need to wash the pan since you’ll use it again.
- Whisk together the tamari, water, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using the same pan you used to make the tofu or another large pan, heat to medium heat and add the tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the onion for 3 to 4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the cornstarch and stir well to coat.
- Add the tamari mixture while whisking continuously until a smooth sauce is formed. Increase the heat to high and bring to a low bubble and then decrease the heat to medium-low. Add the broccoli and greens beans and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to heat through. Add the tofu back to the pan and stir to coat.
- To finish, sprinkle with sesame seeds and add a dash of sriracha, if desired.
The sauce makes just enough to coat the tofu and veggies. If you choose to serve it with rice or noodles, you may want to double the sauce.