These are so fast and easy to make, it’s perfect for a last-minute snack or side dish. It hardly takes any ingredients – just the broccoli, the vegan cheese, the egg binder (you can use flaxseed or chia seed mixed with warm water), your favorite spices and some flour. I used chickpea flour to keep the fritters gluten-free. We ate these as a side dish with some pasta with artichoke hearts for dinner.
Broccoli and Cheddar Fritters [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon egg replacer, mixed
- 1 bunch broccoli with stalks
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a mug, mix your egg replacer and set aside. (For example, if using a flax seeds, mix 1 tablespoon ground flax with 3 tablespoons water. You'll only need a tsp of the final mixture).
- Steam the broccoli for a few minutes until fork-tender. Chop both the florets and the stalks into small pieces; you want the fritters to be chunky.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli pieces, egg replacer, and vegan cheese. Add the herbs and spices and mix well. Add up to 1/2 cup flour until the mixture feels like it will hold together.
- Heat about an inch of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop up about 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture and put it in the pan. Don’t crowd the pan; only cook about 4 fritters at a time. Flatten the tops of the fritters gently with the back of a spoon or the spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes until browned. Carefully flip and cook on the other side, about 1-2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve hot.