If you're getting bored of salads, get ready to get excited – this salad is anything but ordinary. Ruby red beets are shredded, then tossed in a citrusy vinaigrette along with creamy chunks of avocado, carrots, edamame, hearty quinoa, and toasty pumpkin seeds. Then, the whole thing is drizzled with a tangy, lemony dressing that will rock your socks.
Bright Beet Salad With Quinoa In a Citrus Vinaigrette [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Salad:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- Vegetable broth, this is for cooking the quinoa in as opposed to water
- 1 cup edamame, prepare as per package instructions.
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2 medium-sized uncooked beets, peeled
- 1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and julienned or shredded
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 cups torn or roughly chopped super greens (spinach, chard, arugula, and/or kale)
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer under running water for a minute or until water runs clear.
- Place the quinoa in a medium-sized pot or saucepan along with the vegetable broth (or water) — the amount may vary, so go by the package directions.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to a low simmer, and let it go for 15 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked, please remove it from the heat and let it rest, covered, for about 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork and set it aside.
- Place the raw pepitas in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Stir them often to keep them from burning. When ready, the pepitas will be fragrant and turn a light golden color around the edges; a few may even make popping sounds. When they're done, remove them from the heat and let them cool.
- Grate the beets and transfer them to a large bowl. To avoid a red mess, do this at the sink and run the beets under cool water every so often while grating them.
- Peel the carrots and either shred them or julienne them. Toss them into the bowl with the beets.
- Once the quinoa has cooled off a bit, add it to the bowl with the beets and carrots, along with the edamame, cubed avocado, greens, and toasted pepitas.
- Place all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette into a small bowl and whisk until well blended and emulsified. You could also place the ingredients into a jar and shake until well mixed.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat.