In this recipe, spring green leeks and vibrant carrots are celebrated for their naturally delicious flavor. They are braised and brushed with olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, and a bit of salt and pepper. This dish does not mask the essence of these veggies but rather, enhances it. It's amazing how a little vegetable broth, fresh herbs, and a toasty oven-sauna transforms these raw vegetables into fork-tender succulence. Sprinkle with toasted pumpernickel crumbs for some added texture.
Braised Leeks and Carrots With Toasted Crumb [Vegan]
- 3 leeks, pale green and white parts
- 6 small-medium carrots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, more if needed
- 1 slice pumpernickel or bread of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice leeks in half lengthwise and rinse any grit or sand out of them. Place the leeks and carrots in a casserole dish. Drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil over the vegetables and lightly toss to coat. Sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Add two tablespoons vegetable broth and cover with lid or tight fitting aluminum foil.
- Braise for 40-45 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, place the bread in a mini prep food processor and pulse until you have fine breadcrumbs. Transfer breadcrumbs to a small bowl and add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat. Arrange breadcrumbs in a single layer and bake for 5-8 minutes until crisp. Set aside.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving platter and spoon any braising liquid over them. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and serve.