Healthy and delicious kale, braised with onions, garlic and stock. This absolutely yummy vegetable goes well with almost anything.
Braised Kale [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 2 lb kale, preferably flat leaf (can also use Swiss chard or collard greens)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- 2 cups flavorful stock
- 1 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper. to taste
- To start, finely dice the onion and émincé the garlic.
- Next, heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the oil and sauté the onions for about 5 minutes or so.
- To prepare the kale, clean and cut off any thick stems. Cut into roughly 1" -inch pieces.
- Once the onions are translucent and just starting to take on nice color, add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, until it releases its aroma.
- Add the kale and sauté until it just starts to wilt. This should only take a minute or two.
- Once the kale has wilted add the stock.
- Stir to combine and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and let simmer until the kale is very soft, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the kale is nice and tender, taste for seasoning. If you are serving something heavy with the kale such as roasted pork, you can add a tablespoon of nice vinegar to brighten up the flavor and give the kale a bit of a punch.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.