These Vegan Blueberry Pop-Tarts are perfect for breakfast, a snack, or dessert! They are super nostalgic, but also so much better than the classic childhood snack. Buttery crust filled with a fresh blueberry, date, and chia mixture––what more could you want? It's such a treat. You are going to be obsessed with these Vegan Blueberry Pop-Tarts!
Blueberry Pop-Tarts [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegan butter, cold
- 2-3 tablespoons ice-cold water
- almond milk for brushing
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons date sugar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, softened
- 1-2 teaspoons unsweetened almond milk
- Begin by making the crust. Combine flour and salt.
- Cube the cold vegan butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the butter is pea-sized.
- Add the ice-cold water to the mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until a dough is formed. The dough should be shaggy, but moist and smooth enough to form into a ball. Flatten the ball of dough into a disc and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.
- Meanwhile, make the blueberry compote by placing the blueberries, sugar, and chia seeds in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then, transfer the compote to a bowl and stir in vanilla. Let cool.
- When the dough is finish chilling, turn it onto a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 1/8" thick rectangle.
- Cut 10 equal rectangles from the dough and transfer onto a baking sheet.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of filling on half of the rectangles, leaving a 1/4" border around the edges. Rub a small bit of water around the edges and place the tops on each filled pop-tart. Seal the edges by pressing them together lightly with a fork.
- Poke a few holes in the top of each pop tart and brush with almond milk. Place the baking sheet of pop tarts in the freezer for about 10 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake pop tarts for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. Then, let cool completely.
- Make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, vanilla, butter, and almond milk, stir. Top each pop tart with the glaze and sprinkles.
- Store pop-tarts in a sealed container for 5 days.