Pie? Ice cream? Pie in ice cream?! Wait, wait, wait. Isn’t this the kind of stuff dreams are made of? I kinda just blew my own mind here. I’m kinda feeling all Ron Burgundy-esque. That is how awesome this ice cream is. Plus, Paleo-ers and Vegans can eat it. And there is hardly any sweetener at all! Just a few dates. We all need a date once in a while.
Blueberry Pie Ice Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pie Crust:
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 softened Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Blueberry Filling:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For the Ice Cream Base:
- 10-12 frozen coconut milk ice cubes (freeze a can the night before in ice cube trays)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (optional)
- 2-3 softened Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Hint of sea salt
- 2 ice cubes (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚F. Pulse together all ingredients in a food processor until well-ground into a meal. Grease a small glass or ceramic baking dish and add mixture, patting down evenly to make crust. Bake in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool. Break into small pieces that you will add to ice cream.
- Meanwhile, add blueberry filling ingredients to small saucepan over medium heat, uncovered. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes, until blueberries are soft and tender. Remove from heat.
- Blend all ice cream ingredients in blender on high until mix becomes ice cream consistency and there are no frozen pieces left. Pour into a glass or ceramic dish. Fold in 1/2 to 3/4 of the pie crust pieces and all of the blueberry filling. Top with remaining pie crust or freeze leftovers for later use. If you are looking to have ice cream scoops, freeze for 1 1/2-2 hours.
If you do not have a high-speed blender, do not freeze the coconut milk. Instead, use about 3/4 of a can of refrigerated full fat or light coconut milk (I found no difference in this recipe). Add all of the ingredients to a blender or your food processor and blend until smooth and there are no remaining bits. Add to a glass or ceramic container and add in blueberry pie filling and pie crust pieces and place in the freezer. Stir every hour for approximately 3 hours, or until your desired texture is reached. If you want soft serve, you can take it out earlier, but if you want scoops you will need to leave it in longer.