Breakfast has to be quick on some (most?) days, so these bars are perfect for those days when you need to grab something on the go. They provide you with a healthy mix of wholesome ingredients, and have a nice chew to them. You can adjust the sweetness to your liking, but my blueberries were quite sweet, so a little maple syrup was all I needed for the perfect breakfast sweetness.
Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Bars [Vegan]
- 1 cup spelt pastry flour
- 1 cup fine oats (or 3-grain flakes mixture: rye, oat and spelt)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- ⅔ cup rice milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup blueberries (or more)*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.**
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flower, oats, salt, chia seeds and pecan pieces.
- Add the maple syrup, half of the milk, and stir.
- Slowly add the rest of the milk until a spreadable dough forms and carefully incorporate the blueberries.
- Pour into the baking pan, spread evenly, and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Immediately cut them after taking them out (careful not to burn yourself!), as they will harden a bit when cooling down.
*The blueberries are easier to work with when they are frozen! **You could also grease the pan with some coconut oil, but the paper makes removing the bars easier.