Summer isn't summer, until you've had a brain freeze from all those frozen treats. Enjoy these black plum popsicles as the humidity rises along with your desire for an icy treat. The popsicles get their sweet flavor from jamuns, also known as jambul, which are fruits native to India and Southeast Asia. These dark purple plums have been gaining popularity internationally in the culinary world for their refreshing bite and health promoting properties.
Black Plum Popsicle [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 9 ounces of jamun (black plums)
- 6 cups water
- 5-6 tablespoons of sugar
- Deseed all the jamuns.
- Keep aside a quarter of the jamuns and blend the rest with a little water until smooth.
- Roughly chop the jamuns that were kept aside and add it to the purée. Then, add the water.
- Add sugar by the spoonful. Stir until sugar dissolves. Depending on the sweetness or sourness of the jamuns, the quantity of sugar required may vary.
- Pour the ice candy mix into popsicle moulds. Place the popsicle stick in the center of each mould compartment. Freeze for 3-4 hours or until frozen completely.
If you do not have a popsicle mould, you can freeze the ice candy in steel glasses or paper cups. Cover the glass with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Make a small slit in the center and push the ice candy stick through it.