Need a dessert that's dressed to impress? This black bottom banana cream pie will get the job done! It’s made from layers of dairy-free ganache, creamy, custard-y banana, and a billowy coconut whipped cream topping. Drizzle with melted chocolate and crispy banana chips for presentation!
Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie [Vegan]
1 9-inch pie
For the Banana Custard:
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup banana purée (about 2 medium bananas)
- A pinch of turmeric
- A pinch of salt
- 2 medium bananas
For the Black Bottom Ganache:
- 4 ounces vegan semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Rest:
- First, prepare the pie crust in a 9-inch pan and blind bake it, then reserve to cool.
- Prepare the vegan ganache by combining the chopped chocolate with non-dairy milk in a small saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until melted and whisk smooth. Reserve.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water and whisk smooth.
- Purée the bananas in a blender or food processor and reserve.
- Prepare the banana custard by combining the milk alternative with the sugar, vegan butter, salt, and turmeric and bring to a boil, once the mixture boils add the cornstarch slurry and whisk constantly while bringing back to a full boil and boil for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and add the banana purée and vanilla extract and whisk smooth.
- Pour the ganache into the bottom of the baked pie shell and then slice the remaining 2 bananas over the chocolate.
- Pour the hot custard over the bananas and then refrigerate the entire pie to cool and set.
- Next skim off the coconut fat from 2 cans of cold coconut milk (the liquid is not used), whip to firm peaks with the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Cover the top of the pie with the coconut whipped cream and then garnish as you like.