This simple vegetarian black bean soup packs a serious amount of flavor. Tomatoes and black beans are simmered in a wine and vegetable broth, flavored with onions, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, oregano, lime, and cilantro. Start to finish, this fresh tasting soup will be on the table in well under 30 minutes, making it a super quick, healthy meal that you'll find yourself coming back to over and over again.
Black Bean Tomato Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium size red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 4 cups black beans, slow simmered or canned (drained)
- the juice from 1-2 limes (to taste)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 8 corn tortillas – OR – a bag of tortilla chips. (Optional, for serving)
- Corn oil or vegetable oil, for frying (disregard if using tortilla chips)
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes
- While the onions are cooking, add the garlic, jalapeño, cumin, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Add to the pan with the softened onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute longer.
- Add the wine, turn the heat to high, and cook, stirring frequently, until about 75% of the liquid has evaporated. Add the water or stock, both cans of tomatoes, and black beans to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes. (This is a good time to fry the tortilla strips.)
- Squeeze in the juice from 1 lime. Taste and add more lime juice, salt, and pepper, if you like.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the soup and serve with sour cream and tortilla strips or chips.