This recipe is so good – it’s hearty, warming and slightly spicy. The little bit of cinnamon in it makes it feel like a true autumn meal. Topped with seasoned avocado, that adds a little freshness, it’s a treat that will satisfy all kinds of eaters!
Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 1-2 clove garlic, squeezed
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- One 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 18-ounces cooked black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped spring onions
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeño. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion is lightly caramelized. Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add broth, vinegar, butternut squash, tomatoes, chili powder, cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer until all of the vegetables are softened, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and let simmer uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the desired consistency is reached about 10 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro and adjust seasoning.
- In a bowl, season the avocado with lemon juice, olive oil, chopped cilantro and chopped spring onions. Add salt and pepper to taste and toss well.
- Serve the chili in bowls, top with the seasoned avocado and garnish with cilantro sprigs.