These flavorful black bean burgers are amazing and they go great with so many different toppings.They're also freezable, making these veggie burgers are the perfect go-to meal on the days that you don't feel like cooking. Make a batch ahead of time and stick the rest in the freezer.
Black Bean and Basil Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 cups cooked black beans
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Heaping 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons tahini or almond butter
- 3-4 tablespoons oat flour
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil, for cooking
- Put the beans in a large bowl and mash them until about 2/3 are mashed and the remaining 1/3 are still whole.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the oat flour, and mix well. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Add the oat flour a tablespoon at a time until you get a mixture that sticks together.
- Form 6 to 8 burgers (depending on how large you want them) that are about 3/4-inch thick. Set them aside in the freezer to firm up.
- While the burgers are resting, heat a bit of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is ready, remove the burgers from the freezer. Cook the burgers in the skillet for 5-7 minutes on each side until the outside has formed a deep golden crust.
- Cool on a paper towel lined plate. Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and re-heat in a toaster oven or in a skillet.