Okra/bhindi are first sautéed until tender, then stuffed with the spice powder. When ready to eat, the stuffed bhindi are served along with a simple tomato gravy. This dish goes well with both rice and roti.
Bhindi Masala Curry: Spicy Stuffed Okra Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Okra:
- 12-15 okra
For the Spice Powder:
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2-3 dry red chilis
- 1 tablespoon coconut, dry grated
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, roasted
For the Tomato Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilis, slit
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, red (adjust per taste)
- To taste, salt
To Make the Spice Powder:
- Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dry red chilis until fragrant. Add dry grated coconut and roast until lightly browned. Cool and grind along with the roasted peanuts until a coarse powder forms.
To Make the Okra:
- To prep the okra, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan, add the okra/bhindi and sauté until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the pan and wait till cool enough to handle.
- Make a slit in the center of each okra making sure not to cut all the way through. Stuff with spice powder and set them aside.
To Make the Tomato Gravy:
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a pan, add onion, green chilis, and ginger garlic paste, and cook until the onions are lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Next add the tomato purée, turmeric, salt and red chili powder; cover and simmer for 6~8 minutes or until oil starts to separate around the edges.
- To serve, put the gravy in a serving bowl, add the stuffed okra, and serve.