This gel is packed full of energizing nutrients that provide easily digestible nourishment for your long and intense workouts. Known as the “running food,” chia seeds are a fantastic high- energy endurance food that dates as far back as the ancient Aztecs. Soldiers used to eat a daily serving of these tiny seeds to give them energy for running long distances and to sustain them for long periods of heat and thirst. When you pair chia seeds with natural sugar and electrolytes (as in this recipe), it creates the perfect fuel for before, during and after any high- intensity and endurance activities.
Reprinted with permission from Plant Powered Athlete by Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Nikki Lefler
Berry Chia Energy Gel [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Berry Chia Energy Gel [Vegan]
- 1 small beet, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (150 g) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) raw agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons (20 g) chia seeds
How to Prepare Berry Chia Energy Gel [Vegan]
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients, except the chia seeds; process until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the chia seeds. Cover the bowl with a plate or lid and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- When ready to use, divide the gel into small ziplock plastic bags or reusable gel containers.
- This gel is suggested for moderate-intensity activity that lasts up to 3 hours.This gel will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, but it is best when consumed fresh.
This gel is suggested for moderate-intensity activity that lasts up to 3 hours.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Chia Seeds
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.