We don't just toss the phrase dream cake around, so when we say that this berry cashew cake will whisk you away to a wonderful dream land, we mean it. It has fresh berries, plenty of vanilla, velvety cashew cream, and light citrusy notes of lemon and orange. The only thing that could make this cake better is a generous dollop of coconut whipped cream.
Berry Cashew Dream Cake [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Juice and rind from 1 orange
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
For the Topping:
- 3 cups fresh berries of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups cashew cream
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Psyllium husk
- Preheat oven to 356°F and line a spring-form pan with baking paper.
- To Make the Base:
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl with orange rind, stir to combine.
- Juice orange and pour into a measuring cup.
- Add enough coconut milk to bring the liquid up to about 1 cup. Add melted coconut oil.
- Stir the liquids together with a fork and then pour into the dry mixture.
- Stir to combine and then pour into the spring-form.
- To Make the Topping:
- Wash the berries and pick over them to remove any leaves and stalks. If using strawberries, roughly chop them into smaller pieces
- Pour your cashew cream into a blending receptacle.
- Add sugar, lemon, vanilla, and Psyllium husk, and blend immediately (this is important because the psyllium husk starts to thicken as soon as it is wet, and you want it to be evenly dispersed through the cashew mix).
- Place berries on the base, leaving a bit of room between the berries and the edge of the tin.
- Pour cashew mix over berries.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan.