I decided to play around with a beautiful butternut squash, beets and apples that I had at home with delicious results. I’ve made butternut squash soup many times before, but the subtle flavor of the beets and zing of the apple were a really nice touch. I paired this soup with a tangy cashew sour cream, but this is of course optional, yet highly recommended!
Beet, Butternut Squash, and Apple Soup [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons coconut or olive oil
- half of a large Butternut Squash
- 2 large beets
- 2 small onions or leeks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups of Vegetable broth
- 1 large apple
- handful of pine nuts (or pumpkin seeds or any other nuts) for garnish
- salt and pepper
- ½ half cup raw cashews
- juice of small lemon
- 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush with either a teaspoon of olive or coconut oil (I used coconut, it made my kitchen smell yummy). Place one half of squash side down and roast for approximately 25-30 min or until you are able to pierce with fork with no resistance.
- Cut beets in half, brush with oil and add to the oven 15 min before squash is done.
- In a pot, sautee garlic, 2 small onions or leek (I used 1 onion and one leek) in a Tablespoon of olive oil until slightly translucent, then add veggie broth and salt and pepper.
- Once squash and beets are done roasting, let them cool for a few minutes. Peel the beets and cut them into 2 inch pieces and add to soup. Scoop out the squash and place into soup, and cut apple into small slices and place in soup as well. Let simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until apples are slightly soft. Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree soup.
- While simmering, toast the pine nuts- heat small skillet and add pine nuts (without oil) and toast until slightly fragrant.
- For the cashew cream, soak cashews for at least 4 hours or overnight. Rinse and add to blender along with all other ingredients, blend until smooth.
- Garnish soup with toasted nuts and dribble sour cream!