If you're looking for a simple and veggie-filled meal, try out this recipe for beans and rice! Unlike other recipes, this one includes a variety of vegetables, and feel free to add the ones you like!
Beans and Rice [Vegan]
- 1 8 oz. can of red kidney beans
- 3 cups of parboiled long grain rice
- 1/2 cup of cubed carrots
- 1/2 cup of Chinese celery chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 habanero pepper
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon green seasoning (optional)
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt (adjust)
- Wash and drain your can of beans. Set aside. Wash and drain your rice. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot on the stove on medium heat. Add the oil. Once the oil is hot add onions. Sauté until just translucent. Add in the pepper (do not cut unless you want heat), ginger, garlic and green seasoning. Let this fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in the rice, beans, green onions, celery and carrots. Mix and let this fry for at least 4-5 minutes. You want it to just start sticking to the pot. NOT burning. Add in the allspice and salt.
- Add in the coconut milk and your bunch of thyme. Once this starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low. Cover and leave it alone for 30 minutes. If you open the lid all the steam will be let out.
- After 30 minutes, you can remove the cover and stir. Test the texture of the rice, if it needs more cooking, cover it back and leave it for a few more minutes. Taste to make sure it does not need more salt.