BBQ Lentil Balls. Simple plant-based ingredients of lentils, rice, mushrooms, and BBQ sauce. Vegan protein-packed dish! Great as a post-work meal or to bring to outdoor BBQ events!
BBQ Lentil Meatballs [Vegan]
9 meatballs, serves 3
- 1/2 cup of any brown rice you have on hand
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1/8 cup of chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke
- Cook brown rice according to directions and set aside.
- Next, you are going to make your flax egg. Take a small bowl, add flax seed, water, and mix well. Set aside.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and mushrooms. Cook until vegetables are fully translucent.
- Once cooked turn off heat and set aside.
- Add lentils to food processor.
- Then add cook veggies, cooked rice, cilantro, salt, garlic powder, dried basil, breadcrumbs,1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke to food processor. Blend in your food processor fully until mixture is completely combined. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Take mixture and add to a bowl. If the mixture is too wet, put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes so that it can stiffen up.
- Start to form your meatballs placing each one on a pan medium size pan. Place in the refrigerator for an hour so to help balls stay firm. They won't fall apart when cooked the more set they are.
- Once fully set, remove from refrigerator, grab a pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot place each ball in hot oil pan and heat all the way through for about 2 minutes on each side until the lentil balls form a caramelized coating on each side. Do not leave unattended.
- Add 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce to pan and turn down heat. Make sure you coat every lentil ball and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.