When it comes to making veggie burgers, there are no rules, and creativity is the only real requirement. From veggies and rice, to mushrooms and nuts, to quinoa and beans, to all of those combined together and beyond, the possibilities truly are limitless. The following is my go-to base recipe when I am craving a veggie burger and desire to keep the preparation simple. It is incredibly versatile, and I have found the method to be successful with various ingredient combinations, so feel free to modify the type of beans, veggies and herbs in the recipe to suit your taste buds! Enjoy!
Basic Veggie and Bean Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas/beans of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 flax egg (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic, onion, and carrots and cook 5-10 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Form the mixture into 4 round patties.
- Cook in a skillet that has been lightly coated with olive oil over medium heat, about 5 minutes per side.
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water (set aside for 10 minutes).