If you crave the taste of barbecue, this sandwich will prove meat is not necessary to enjoy smoky, bold flavors In the air fryer, the tofu crisps on the edges similar to grilling, and the even heat finishes the sauce to a tempting, sticky glaze. The sandwich can be served without the chutney, but the ginger and jalapeño infused mango mixture elevates the flavor to new culinary heights Choose ripe mangos with a perceptible fragrance through the skin; this ensures the flesh will be a vibrant yellow and the taste sweet and piney.
Barbecue Tofu and Mango Sandwich [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Barbecue Tofu and Mango Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Mango Chutney:
- 1 teaspoon avocado or olive oil
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) minced jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 large mango, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Barbecue Tofu Sandwiches:
- 1 (14-ounce/400 g) block extra firm tofu, pressed (see page 30) and cut into 1/4-inch (1/2 cm) thick slices
- 1 cup (250 g) barbecue sauce, homemade or store-bought
- Avocado oil, for brushing
- 2 crusty buns, halved lengthwise and toasted (optional)
- 2 cups (40 g) arugula or baby Spinach
How to Prepare Barbecue Tofu and Mango Sandwich [Vegan]
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat Sauté the bell pepper, onion, jalapeño pepper, and ginger until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mango, lime juice, and lime zest and sauté until the mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cilantro, and season with salt and pepper Transfer the chutney to a container, partially cover, and chill. Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it, up to 5 days.
- On a large plate, coat the tofu slices with barbecue sauce on all sides.
- Preheat on Air Fry at 360°F (185°C) for 3 minutes.
- Brush the air fryer basket with oil and arrange half the tofu slices in a single layer Cook 15 minutes until glazed and lightly caramelized on the edges, turning halfway through and shaking the basket several times Repeat with the remaining tofu.
- Pile the barbecued tofu on the buns and top with a generous scoop of the mango chutney and the arugula.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- BBQ Sauce
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.