Have you ever had pulled jackfruit? Jackfruit is a tropical fruit related to mulberries, but when you cook it just right, like in this recipe, it has the consistency of pulled pork. Young jackfruit is cooked in barbecue sauce and smoky spices until tender and easily shreddable, then served on a platter with oven-roasted potatoes. This platter makes a fantastic lunch or, if you serve it with chips, it's an awesome game day snack.
Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit With Roast Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit With Roast Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pulled Jackfruit:
- 2 20-ounce cans young green Jackfruit
- 2 cups barbecue sauce of your choice
- Seasoned salt, to taste
- Smoked paprika, to taste
- Habanero sauce
- Vegetable oil
For the Roast Potatoes:
- 1.1 pounds small potatoes
- 1 tablespoon starch
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit With Roast Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Jackfruit:
- Drain the jackfruit in a sieve and pull apart the slices. Boil a pot of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Put jackfruit slices in the boiling water and simmer about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Stir in jackfruit and add smoked paprika, habanero sauce, and salt, stirring to coat and then add the barbecue sauce. Simmer, stirring until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Mash the jackfruit with a potato masher or pull apart carefully with two forks.
To Make the Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Quarter the potatoes lengthwise and put them and the starch in a freezing bag. Shake until every potato is covered in starch. Then add the oil, salt, and pepper and shake again to cover the potatoes with the oil. Pour the potatoes on a baking sheet covered tray and spread them. Bake for about 15 minutes, then turn them over to the other cut surface and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve the pulled jackfruit on a plate with the potatoes.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.