This recipe for barbecue pulled jackfruit is served on a bed of rice, with tender, cooked broccoli and a crunchy peanut cabbage slaw. The coleslaw sauce is packed with an infusion of peanuts, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and five-spice for a beautiful balance of flavors that are complementary to the jackfruit. The meaty jackfruit has a slightly chewy, yet tender texture. This is a simple, but flavorful dish that's perfect for busy days.
Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit Bowl [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit Bowl [Vegan]
For the Bowl:
- 2 10-ounce cans young green jackfruit
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
For the Slaw:
- 1/2 white cabbage
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 3 spring onions
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice
How to Prepare Barbecue Pulled Jackfruit Bowl [Vegan]
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, then add it to a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Fry on a low-medium heat for 5 minutes, then shred the jackfruit by using two forks to pull the strands apart. Add the barbecue sauce, cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes or so, to make sure it doesn't stick to the pan.
- Add the rice to a pan of water, bring to the boil and cook for 25 minutes, then drain.
- To make the slaw, shred the cabbage, grate the carrot, finely chop the spring onions, and add to the mixing bowl. Then, in a glass jar add the water, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, sesame oil, and five-spice, and shake well until combined fully. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix until it is evenly distributed.
- Chop the broccoli into florets and place them in a pan of boiling water for 3-5 minutes, then drain.
- Divide the rice, broccoli, slaw and pulled jackfruit between 4 bowls and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1922 | Total Carbs: 403 g | Total Fat: 37 g | Total Protein: 54 g | Total Sodium: 3158 g | Total Sugar: 80 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.