The barbecue chickpeas in this dish pair perfectly with the sweet pineapple. Pick a barbecue sauce that is not very sweet to help keep flavors balanced. These vegan and gluten-free bowls take only 20 minutes to make!
Barbecue Chickpea Hawaiian Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Coconut Quinoa:
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flake
To Make the Bowl:
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1 cup sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 sprigs cilantro (minced or whole)
- In a rice cooker or stove-top pan, combine quinoa, water, and coconut oil. Cook until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy about 15 minutes. Mix in salt and red pepper flake.
- Meanwhile, chop all the pineapple and red cabbage.
- Toss chickpeas and barbecue sauce in a medium bowl. Heat in the microwave until warm. (Alternatively, you can also serve them cold.)
- Divide the quinoa between 2 bowls. Spoon in 1/2 cup barbecue chickpeas, 1/2 cup sliced red cabbage, and 1 cup pineapple chunks. Top with cilantro.