The barbecue chickpeas in this dish pair perfectly with the sweet pineapple. Pick a barbecue sauce that is not very sweet to help keep flavors balanced. These vegan and gluten-free bowls take only 20 minutes to make!
Barbecue Chickpea Hawaiian Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Barbecue Chickpea Hawaiian Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Coconut Quinoa:
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flake
To Make the Bowl:
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1 cup sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 sprigs cilantro (minced or whole)
How to Prepare Barbecue Chickpea Hawaiian Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a rice cooker or stove-top pan, combine quinoa, water, and coconut oil. Cook until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy about 15 minutes. Mix in salt and red pepper flake.
- Meanwhile, chop all the pineapple and red cabbage.
- Toss chickpeas and barbecue sauce in a medium bowl. Heat in the microwave until warm. (Alternatively, you can also serve them cold.)
- Divide the quinoa between 2 bowls. Spoon in 1/2 cup barbecue chickpeas, 1/2 cup sliced red cabbage, and 1 cup pineapple chunks. Top with cilantro.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving Calories: 495 | Carbs: 86 g | Fat: 12 g | Protein: 16 g | Sodium: 364 mg | Sugar: 29 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.