Fresh bread is a staple of any culture and this Persian flatbread is the thicket and heartiest offering of the country's many delightful flatbreads. The bread itself is fairly light and delicate and it is then topped with a bold dusting of various sesame seeds.
Barbari: Persian Flatbread [Vegan]
For the Bread:
- 7 1/4 cups flour
- 3 cups of warm water, at about 100°F
- 6 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon golden sesame seeds
For the Romal:
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer, mix the flour and the baking powder.
- Make a well and add the dissolved yeast. Mix everything by incorporating the water gradually. Then, add the salt.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes, until it is homogenous and somewhat elastic.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Place the pieces on a well-floured plate, cover and let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, for 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, mix all the ingredients for the romal then bring them to a boil and set aside to cool to a temperature of about 75°F.
- On a well-floured work surface, flatten the dough pieces by dipping your hands in the romal so that the dough does not stick.
- Flatten the dough in order to obtain an oval shape and a thickness of about a 1/4-inch.
- With the tip of your fingers (except the thumb) or using a long knife, make scratches on the surface of the loaves.
- Brush them generously with the romal then sprinkle them with sesame seeds.
- Sesame Seeds