Now, this is what I call a proper pudding! Rich, indulgent, belly-busting and totally delicious! I decided to do a switch-a-roo job on this classic pud and instead of making it raw or super healthy, I simply switched a traditional all butter biscuit base for a dairy and gluten free biscuit base! I have a confession - healthy people and people with self control please look away now - after photographing this I ate a huge, HUGE, slice of pie... before my dinner! It was an innocent mistake; I blame the fork!
Belly-Busting and Totally Delicious Banoffee Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 10 ounces dairy and gluten-free biscuits (I used free from digestives)
- 3 ounces dairy-free butter
- 14 dates
- 1 heaped teaspoon almond butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- splash vanilla essence
- 2 large bananas
- 1 can coconut cream (this will need to be refrigerated over night)
- vegan chocolate sprinkles or grated dark chocolate
- Put your can of coconut cream in the refrigerator over night
- In a food processor blitz the biscuits until they resemble a fine crumb. Melt the butter then pour it into the processor and mix with the biscuits.
- Tip the now wet biscuit crumb into a greased cake tin or pie dish and press down to line the bottom of the tin.
- Blend together the dates, almond butter, almond milk and vanilla until smooth. It should be thick and gooey and not too runny.
- Pour the caramel onto the biscuit base and spread out for an even covering.
- Peel and slice your bananas into coins and put a layer of sliced banana evenly over the caramel.
- Take your can of coconut milk out of the refrigerator and open it up. Scoop the firm cream out of the top and put it in a bowl (keep the water for another recipe), add a splash of vanilla to the bowl and then whisk it until it is soft and forms peaks.
- Spoon the coconut cream on top of the banana layer and smooth down gently with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Sprinkle over grated dark chocolate or chocolate sprinkles and serve chilled!